Interacting with sound workshop:
dance and technology series 2
Bertha Bermudez and Frédéric Bevilacqua
24 May 2018 Errenteria, SpainThis second session of dance and technology organized by Gipuzkoako Dantzagunea focuses on the interaction of movement with sound. Using the web applications CoMo, the Interacting with sound workshop proposed an approach to collective interaction using of mobile phones, as motion sensors and interactive sound systems.
The workshop proposed two parts. The first part, theoretical, focused on the presentation of the CoMo system and in particular the webapp Elements. The second part was hands on, with practical experience where participants could explore the system. The aim of the workshop was to understand the value of such a device in relation to dance creation. At the end of the workshop participants created a small dance proposal, which they explain to the group, describing their choices and ideas in relation the use of the device, sounds and dance. Participants gave interesting feedback during the workshop, signalling the device as:
- a useful tool to induce awareness upon own the creation of movements
- sound being a valuable companion to generate affect and induce motion.
- friendly interface easy to use and place on the body
- potential tool to create dance material
- General introduction 11h00 – 12h00
- participants round table
- introduction by Frederic Bevilacqua on research at Ircam (ISMM team)
introduction by Bertha on dance/research- technology- and development of installations (DS/DM, pre-paradiso)
- CoMo system introduction 12h00 -13h30
- explanation-demonstration of connection of smartphone with the server
- demonstration of the sensors (orientation, accelerometers, global quantity of motion)
- linking sound with movement – collective exercise
- Personal trials 13h30 – 14h00
- creating their own movement-sound “project”
- experimenting with others’ projects
- collective improvisation
- feedback session
- Experimentations 15h30 – 17h30
- use of the “sensors” option, sound filtering with movement energy
- matching sound game
- personal creation
- feedback session
- Dantzagunea es el servicio que la Diputación Foral de Gipuzkoa impulsa para favorecer los procesos de aprendizaje y creación en la danza.
- The CoMo Element application was developed with support of the H2020 Rapid-Mix (grant agreement No 644862), funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.